Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Nathan James is here!

Nathan James was born this morning at 9:45am. He arrived weighing 7 pounds 10 ounces and is 21 inches long. 12 ounces and 2 inches bigger than Brian.

The story:
I was sitting on the floor at 7pm with Brian watching Wheel of Fortune last night. I thought I might be having labor contractions but I wasn't sure if they were real or Braxton hicks. Around 9pm I thought that maybe they were real so we got ready just in case. They didn't really hurt or anything so we went to bed about 9:30. I woke up a couple times during the night to go to the bathroom and I felt contractions but still wasn't timing them. By the time 4:30am rolled around I had had enough sleep and couldn't sleep anymore so I got up to see if I as still contracting. I loaded the dishwasher and did some household chores in case we went to the hospital. At 5:45 I called my mom to tell her I think i am in labor but not really sure. The contractions were about 5 minutes apart but didn't hurt at all. I knew that 5 minute contractions hurt a lot with Brian so I had my doubts. I called the doc to see what he thought and he said to come in and get checked out, which I knew he would say. 10 minutes after I hung up the phone the contractions hit! I woke dean up, and we loaded up the truck, and then got Brian ready.
We arrived at the hospital at 7am. It was the longest 40 minute truck ride and the bumpiest ever! Dean was speeding, and that wasn't helping me so I told him my contractions were still 3-5 minutes so he wouldn't speed, but really they were about 2 minutes apart. He dropped me off at the door and I went to Labor and Delivery while he parked. I got to the desk and said all in one breath "my name is Jaime DeVries, I'm 39w 2d, this is my second baby, first delivery was 6 hours, he's coming fast, you better be ready". The nurse rushed me into my room, and checked me. I was at 5cm at 7:20am. My water bag was bulging, and she said, "as soon as it breaks I'll dilate right away and he'll be here". My doctor was in surgery, and had two back to back. So I had my contractions, stood in the shower, did all that laboring stuff, and was checked again around 8 (which I checked 7cm). My breathing techniques to relax were really hard to do since it hurt so bad, but Dean kept reminding me to relax, and breathe in, and out. He was great! My mom showed up with Brian, he wasn't very comfortable seeing mommy in pain, and really didn't like it when the doctor came in. My mom took him out of the room so Dr. Lepore could do his thing. He finally came in at 9:30 between surgeries and checked me, and broke my water with his finger. It was a little murky but they weren't concerned. He said he would be back after the next c-section. I had one contraction and I yelled for him to come back because I had to push bad! He looked and got all his doctor stuff on and broke down the bed and I pushed a couple of times and out he came! I didn't have any tearing this time and I didn't poo on the table! Whoo hoo! They cleaned him up and gave him back to me. He had swallowed a lot of fluid since he came so fast so he wasn't screaming but raspy crying. They suctioned him with a tube, and said he checked out great! My mom came back in with Brian and he didn't really care about the new baby. They let him stay with us for about 45 minutes and then wanted to take him to the nursery to clear his lungs some more. I showered and then walked over to my recovery room where my family was waiting. Brian still doesn't really care about the baby. I'm sure that will change when he's home with mommy and daddy.









3 comments:

JimKels said...

Yay!! I saw Mandi's post and I was so stinkin' excited!!! Congrats! He is precious...he looks just like Brian and Dean to me!! You, my dear, are a super hero! Many hats off to you...no drugs and all!! Are you at home, or enjoying hosptial WiFi? Enjoy your two precious boys...I am sure that now, we will NEVER have a moment to catch up...b/c since I had Ethan, we could hardly find the time, now that we both have our hands BEYOND full, we will probably have to settle for keeping up between blogs!! I am so happy for you!!! Enjoy every minute! By the way...it is probably a very good thing that Brian doesn't care that the baby is around!!

Anonymous said...

hey!! congrats!! i guess we dont need that walk..lol
danielle/ jakes mommy

Anonymous said...

I want to invite you to the Mommie Daze Virtual Baby Shower I am hosting May 15 - June 8 on my blog. There are over 60 sponsors....and so many fabulous prizes for mommy and baby. Guest bloggers and games, too.

Grab the button and link up with Mr. Linky...see my blog for details.

Enjoy your new little joy!
Deborah

comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com
comfortjoydesigns{AT}gmail{DOT}com